PORT ST. LUCIE — Anyone looking to find Brandon Nimmo this spring need look no further than the Mets’ training facility, a few weeks ahead of his required arrival.
The organization held onto the reserve outfielder despite some outside interest this winter, specifically holding him out of discussions with the Pirates involving since-traded former NL MVP Andrew McCutchen.
“That was an honor to be in those talks,” Nimmo said on Wednesday. “I think you’ve gotta know the business side of it, they were looking at one year with Cutch and they have five years of control with me. I’m honored that (the Mets) felt like I would be a good piece for them this year, because we definitely want to win this year.
“I felt like that was a nice little pat on the back, and I felt good about it.… It makes you feel like people, even other teams, recognize what you can do on the field and think you can help out at the major-league level.”
Nimmo, the 13th pick in the 2011 draft, hit .260/.379/.418 in 215 at-bats with the Mets last season.
Jay Bruce was brought back to play right field this year, but the 24-year-old Nimmo figures to share time with Juan Lagares in center until Michael Conforto returns from last year’s season-ending shoulder surgery.
“Obviously we have some depth, especially when Conforto comes back. But I’m excited about what this spring training has to offer. I’ve been told to be ready to play all of the (outfield) positions,” Nimmo said. “Obviously, Leggo is a Gold Glove center fielder…and I feel like I’ve got things under control out there, too.”
“I do have confidence in what I do and I think I can help out this team a lot,” said Nimmo. “While Conforto is resting up and getting healed up, I think we can hold the fort down and do more than just hold the fort down. I think we can contribute and show the Mets why they kept us around.”
The Mets quickly disputed a tweet from Doc Gooden on Wednesday morning in which the troubled former ace said he was looking forward to working with the team’s pitchers during spring training. The Mets said Gooden instead would be here at some point to watch camp, but he won’t be in attendance in any official team capacity.
“Sorry everyone, my last tweet was a mistweet,” Gooden tweeted after deleting his initial post. “I meant to say I would love to work with the @Mets pitchers next month, but for now I’ll be in St Pete FL next week working with pitchers from a Japanese minor-league team witch (sic) I am really looking forward to! #BaseballisintheAIR.”
BEST WISHES FOR KP
Noah Syndergaard, who attended a few Knicks games this season, on the torn ACL suffered Tuesday night by Kristaps Porzingis: “I’ve yet to meet him, but I saw his injury and that’s unfortunate. I wish him a speedy recovery.”